Table of Content
- Can a Cork dartboard background be framed?
- What kind of material is best for the dartboard backboard?
- Dart-Stop 36 inch Black Octagon Pro Dart Board Backboard
- Viper defender backboard III
- Cork Dart Board Backer
- Dart-stop 29” Professional dart board backboard
- Viper Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard
- Deluxe Dart Backboard
- Viper EVA V-Foam Dartboard Surround Wall Protector
- Unicorn Foldable Wall Protector for Darts
- Dart World Wall Protector
- How to choose the best dart board backboard?
- Material is quite important
- What’s the Size of backboard?
- Design and overall look!
- Is it portable enough?
- All rounder in providing safety
- Know Your Price range!
- Learn about the official standards
- Final thoughts!
Once you have chosen the best dartboard along with decently qualitysteel or soft tip darts, you still have to buy one more item! Yes that’s true! You must be thinking why? Well the answer is that you really never have to forget about dartboard backboard as it’s the only thing that can save your walls and doors from giving a damaged look with many tiny holes!
Lets have a look at our comparison Table:
Can I DIY Dartboard Backboard?
Yes You surely can! You just have to be good at using some essential tools plus a pinch of cool yet modern aesthetic would count! I came across some brilliant ideas for DIY Backboards for darts!
Another handy DIY option is to just place a very thin wooden piece or cardboard just right behind your dartboard for protecting the wall. However it will look kind of shaggy but still something is better than nothing. But I will suggest that more modern and elegant solution is to just invest in some good dartboard backs or surrounds!
Why you really need the backboards?
- For an effective Wall protection
One of the most significant reasons to buy a backboard is to save the walls from damage, the more the holes more it is difficult to fix it and it will cause more damage to the walls, especially if it is just a plaster. Investing in a backboard is less costly than to repair the walls or even the small patches!
- For protecting Your Darts
Do you ever think buying a new dart set just because of the old ones damaged? Missing targets means getting off the tracks which will ultimately lead to the darts going down by hitting the wall! So, in order to protect your darts you should have a dart board backboard.
- To make it look complete
A dart board hanging on a wall without having a backboard does not look as good as the ones with backboards, surrounds or cabinets! We have scrutinized only the top dart board backing or dartboard wall protector s as you may want to say them, from one of the most reliable online market Amazon to make certain that not only does your dart area look the finest but it also can protect your walls, doors and cabinets for a long period of time.
First let’s have a look at the top three products! But Before all that I came across few frequently asked questions which popped up every time I searched for the best choices. Questions were like:
Can a Cork dartboard background be framed?
We all know that cork boards damages ultimately over time or shows holes from the stray darts, however there are several cork options wooden framed and non framed options in the market as per your preference!
What kind of material is best for the dartboard backboard?
To Answer this question, I have highlighted foam and other fabric surface backboards and wall surrounds in the ultimate guide for buying backboards. All materials have their pros and cons for example foam or padded ones can absorb the impact of hit and risk of darts damaging from hitting the ground. Contrary to that some users say that sometimes the thick foam can hinder the sticking capacity of darts!
Guys,There’s a lot more to answer, we will be going in more details for questions like these later in this article!
Dart-Stop 36 inch Black Octagon Pro Dart Board Backboard
It’s a go-to Professional Dart Backboard that provides you with maximum coverage and is available in three classic colors which are black, tan and matte burgundy which all looks good with the dartboard game!
- Plush "no holes" fabric finish-- will...
- Recessed pre-installed dartboard...
- Ready to wall mount: Steel-reinforced...
- Substantial and Durable: 3/4 inch thick...
- Handcrafted in the USA. Includes wall...
The most unique feature of this Pro Dart Board BackBoard is that it is designed with a plush fabric finish which means it will hide or it won’t display any holes even after its been hit many times. This backboard includes a greatly constructed wooden back that is approximately about 3/4 inch thick. Collectively with this wooden back, this extraordinary backboard is about 01 inch in thickness and is 36 inches large and it weighs about 15 pounds approximately.
Cherry on the top, this backboard comes with a pre-installed recessed dartboard mounting bracket for an increased amount of steadiness during the game. You don’t have to look for mounting points on the dart board backboard as it comes with two steel reinforced mounting points. It also includes 03 inches screws for the help and anchors for trouble-free fitting or wall mounting. As well, it comes with easy detailed mounting instructions and necessary hardware (equipment).
- Its Fabric finish is unbeatable with unique quality of showing no holes
- Gives Large area coverage for maximum wall protection
- No added usage shims needed as it already features dartboard mount
- well-built, chic and hard-wearing
- Top on user’s list in user reviews of Amazon
- It’s an expensive pick as compared to other brands in the market
Viper defender backboard III
If you are someone tired of mounting wooden or metal shims for mountings, this is just the perfect kind of dartboard back for you.
- Accommodates both standard 17. 75 inch...
- Provides 8. 2 square feet of protection,...
- An attractive velvet surface minimizes...
- Easy to Assemble compression fitting...
- Fully Reversible Surround is designed...
This one is a practically ideal dartboard back as its compression fit design can be placed behind every dart board having dimensions of 17.75” or 18” or regulation sized boards with up to 8.2 sq ft wall protection coverage so take out any doubts or presumptions for buying a dartboard backs. Its surface area is made up of smooth velvet that aids in hiding the throw marks.
This modish V-Foam backboard does not require any additional installation kit or specific tools, you just have to join it together around your dartboard and you are done immediately and ready to go for playing! The deep black color of this dartboard back blends amazingly with any dartboard and room décor so you don’t have to worry about the overall look of the playing area! Best for wooden and bristle dartboard qualities
- It is quite simple to install and mount
- Goes with any room interior
- No extra hardware needed for assembling and mounting
- It comes with Reversible tendency for additional durability
- Velvet fabric gives a good resistant against wear-tear
- It is not very suitable for outdoor playing
- Some complaints are received in color deviations of the panels which are not the same, i.e. some are deep black and others are grayish black
Cork Dart Board Backer
It’s within your budgeted means pick if you are quite tight in your budget with all the basic qualities that you need for protecting your walls.
- Dart board backer protects both the...
- 100% natural cork material; renewable...
- Large surface area protects wall and...
- Nature of cork minimizes signs of wear...
- Dimensions: 36x24x0.5 inches -- no...
Regardless of being very reasonably priced, this backboard gives an incredible 06 sq ft of coverage of approximately 36 inches x 24 inches and is about 1/2 inches in thickness. You can easily set this backboard as it comes with screws at its all four sides and holds the dart tightly. That means you need mounting not hanging.
This cork dart board ensures you 100% safe from soft tips to the steel tip darts. The one who understands cork he also knows that the cork is the best way to protect the walls.
Furthermore, it features high-class construction material in its design and also includes 100% natural cork which is viable and eco-friendly.
- It is very pocket friendly
- Offers quite a good average wall coverage with its rectangular board
- This cork sheet is just perfectly aligned with its size, quality and thickness
- It is quite brittle therefore you really need to be very careful in moving it to different places
Dart-stop 29” Professional dart board backboard
Quality and professional look is what define this octagonal dartboard backboard. We have already mentioned the Dart-stop 36” Professional dart board backboard in our top three picks, this one has made to our best picks list too. The only difference it has is its coverage area and quality as compared to the 36” one but the availability of the colors is the same which is black, tan and matte burgundy. Its back is approximately about 3⁄4 inches of thick wood, and lined with 1⁄4 inches of smooth plushy material to give maximum durability.
- It’s mounting and assembling is quite simple as it comes with the availability of mounting holes
- It also upholds frequent board removal and board Remounting
- It comes with defined already installed dartboard Bracket
- Most of the customers have rated it 5 on their list
- It is not compatible with cabinet or electronic dartboards
Viper Wood Framed Dartboard Backboard
This deep black dart backboard has a mahogany finish frame to match the room interior and this frame shield the backboard along the board edges consequently extending the product’s lifetime and consistency. This backboard also features superior-quality and an average-density fiber board that guarantees robustness and an outstanding defense. And to protect the wall surrounding better, this ultimate dart backboard has a black felt backing that prevents the darts from scraping walls and hanging backs. Also this dart backboard has a pre-installed bracket that lets users to mount it without any get on your nerves.
The best part is that it also includes hanging brackets that helps in easy installation with dimensions of approximately 29 (L) inches × 29 (W) inches × 1(D)inch.
- Coverage area is wide
- It has first-rated MDF that certifies its robustness and consistency.
- It includes a black felt back that makes the darts avert from piercing further and penetrating in walls
- It is an affordable choice
- Customers have complaint quite a few times regarding the protection that it provides. It is not very efficient when it comes to dart sticking!
Deluxe Dart Backboard
A relatively new brand in the market, this Dart Backboard offers a great wall protection and is surely a cheap to run addition to your dartboard playing set. As a replacement for of a entirely-enclosed cabinet, this is quite a simple dart backboard that protects walls efficiently from off and deviated target throws and offers a chic-classic appearance of playing room. It is enclosed with solid wooden framed edges with red felt padded surface. It also comes with mounting hangers with dimensions of 01 x 25.5 x 27.75 inches.
- Gives a coverage area that maximum market leaders are offering
- It is quite affordable as compared to top brands
- It has padded surface that makes it even for dart throws
- It’s quite a new brand in the market and lacks customer’s awareness and reviews!
Viper EVA V-Foam Dartboard Surround Wall Protector
It is true that this one is a bit smaller than other options available in the market but surely does give a unique rotating function on the board to cover certain most vulnerable wall areas for efficient wall coverage.
- Adds a protective barrier around your...
- Constructed with high-density V-Foam,...
- A hanging bracket is already attached on...
- Customize how you display this surround,...
- Measuring 28" x 28", the matte surface...
You just have to hang it as a square or just rotate it to join in a diamond shape. With this you can easily back any standard sisal dartboard or any electronic dartboard; the backboard will hold up dart boards of multiple shapes and size dimensions. Additionally the v-foam still looks amazing many times use. The deep black color is strategically given in order to hide the future holes in it, and also you can easily turn over the board in order to start again with a clean new look of backboard.
- The foam material used is quite light thus it mounts effortlessly
- Backboard is rotatable to square or diamond shapes
- Holes do not appear on the board
- It’s quite averagely priced
- Inot durable as other wooden backboard surrounds in the market
- The color is fadeable as reported in various customer review
Unicorn Foldable Wall Protector for Darts
This backboard is another simple and cost convenient option for protection against stray darts.
- Prevents damage to walls and doors from...
- Fits standard 18 inch bristle dartboards
- Light-weight construction
- Non-reflective surface
- Foldable- compact and easy to store
It can be used on cabinet doors as well as the walls. It is especially designed for 18 inch bristle dartboards. This back support for protection is quite durable and doesn’t come in the way of holding darts away from the walls. It also has a non reflective surface. It is also available in a black color like many other options which makes is as good as any other choice.
- It’s foldable and thus quite easily portable
- It’s a light weight wall protector
- It is very easy to store anywhere
- It gives wider coverage on wall
- This brand has quite a few reviews and brand repute
Dart World Wall Protector
This stylish backboard has size dimensions of 28″ x 28″ and it ideally fits to any regular bristle dartboards.
You don’t need to attach it to the wall as it doesn’t need brackets or screws, it comes in four large puzzle-type pieces which when assembled together gives an ultimate wall protection from off-target darts. Also this puzzle-type construction makes it easier to separate when it is not needed. It’s quite reversible for increasing durability.
- It’s assembling is quite easy and fun
- It gives a good protection in terms of wall coverage
- Users can customize the black puzzle pieces with any image they want to
- The only complaint received so far for this brand is with respect to winmau blade 4 as it doesn’t fits perfectly specifically to this dartboard!
How to choose the best dart board backboard?
Dart board backboard comes with multiple distinctions in weights, sizes, overall designs or materials etc! Therefore I have unpacked few important considerations, let’s have a look!
Material is quite important
One of the most significant factors to look into purchasing a backboard is the material used for the construction and how durable it is. Top backboards in the market available till day are made up of wooden planks (both thick and thin) , fine corks, padded or foamed and other felt material.
- However, no one can deny that the traditional ones are wooden framed or cabinet versions which are considered the oldest ones.
- On the other hand now cork ones are also leading its way in cost effectiveness and easy installation.
- Also why should we forget Foam backboard models which are just perfect for indoor areas. They are easy to install, very light weight and they give an elegant look to your dartboard.
- For felt material backboards having a wooden core are known for protecting walls and also darts by increasing their play life!
What’s the Size of backboard?
Another essential consideration is the coverage that your backboard is going to offer which directly refers to the size of the dartboard that you are going to purchase. For this reason, it is very important that you know the perfect size dimensions of your dartboard to perfecting matching the backboard in order to get maximum and effective protection for your wall as well as for playing darts. Also there are certain choices in the market that are made for specific dart boards only! So you should be precise in measurements!
Design and overall look!
The design and shape of the backboard is an important consideration because obviously you don’t want your dartboard or room look a bit off with your dartboard in it! Therefore, choose the shape as per the feasibility of the space available on the wall plus understand your need clearly in terms of the shape. The most common shaped ones are round or circular, octagonal, hexagonal and rectangular. Meanwhile, is also important to mention here that the regulation backboards are rectangular and octagonal also the models with these shapes are quite famous!
Is it portable enough?
You really need to see how easily it can be mounted to sever locations and easily carried! As the nature of the dart game is not very quite obvious. Some players like it indoors while others enjoy this game outdoors. Screwing and their hanging options are quite must to look into! So based on your preference you should go for checking this feature also!I have also discussed dartboards with this aspect in my article best dartboards ! go check it out for your further understanding!
All rounder in providing safety
One thing is for sure, you really should go for a dartboard that provides the wall beneath plus the surroundings of your dartboard! You need to place your dart board at a suitable height out of reach for the kids at home.
A quick tip is that you can always go for soft tip darts which are considered to be much handy for electronic and magnetic dart boards. Steel tip darts are really for pro-levy playing can and can really damage or harm anyone standing nearby. Also, you can go for magnetic dart board that holds the tips tightly and pores are not visible on it!
Know Your Price range!
Manufactures usually wants to rip off your pockets! So need to be a little more careful here! You actually need to evaluate the actual need of the backboard based on your playing experience! Based on my finding after reviewing all the above options mostly average price for a dart board backboard is approximately in between somewhere $40 to $90. But nevertheless, I came across few lesser than this range too! So, pay whatever is acceptable to your budget!
Learn about the official standards
It’s quite understandable thing that whatever game you play you should have the basic understandings of the rules and standard regulations for making proper adjustments of height and area from where you have to throw the dart. As per official dart game standards:
“Dart Board Height: 5 feet. 8 inches from floor to the center of the bull’s-eye. Distance from the front of the dartboard to the throwing line: Steel Tip: 7 feet 9 1/4 inches, Soft Tip: 8 feet 0 inches. To mark the throw line a simple piece of tape will suffice”.
You can’t depend on your aim to be precise all the time. So, how do you protect your wall when playing darts?
Well my final thoughts are that well one really can’t depend on taking precise and calculated shots all the time when playing darts! Therefore in order to shield you wall against dragging missed shots, you should either invest in purchasing some good cabinet heavy duty dart board however it will cost you a bit but surely would be more fancy than any other available options. Unless you don’t go for customization in DIY method or choose the one that matches your budget, uplifts your room or board aesthetics!
One more thing that you should be taking care of is placing the backboard right where it should be. If you are a beginner my recommendations are surrounds and if you are a pro or intermediate than backboards or surrounds both works well with you! In the end however, Your choices matter, nothing else! Choose style in a budget, that’s my call! What’s Your?
Comment below for sharing your experiences!